Inspired People recording artist Charles Jenkins launches the national Inspired People™ Music Songwriting Contest for the forthcoming CD project, scheduled to record in April 2013. The contest started on Monday, December 17, 2012 at 12:00 a.m. CT and will continue through Friday, February 22, 2013 at 12:00 a.m. CT. The winner will be announced on Friday, March 8, 2013. See contest rules and regulations below.
Jenkins is a GRAMMY® Award-winning songwriter. He penned “You’ve Been A Friend” for Israel Houghton, which he recorded on his album, Israel and the New Breed Alive in South Africa. That CD won a 2005 GRAMMY® Award for best traditional gospel CD, and everyone who worked on the CD, including Jenkins, received a GRAMMY® Award. Jenkins also wrote the #1 praise and worship anthem “Awesome,” from The Best of Both Worlds CD project, which has remained at #1 onBillboard‘s Hot Gospel Songs chart for nearly 20 weeks. Jenkins and Fellowship Chicago received eight Stellar Gospel Music Award nominations for their critically-acclaimed #1 debut CD, The Best of Both Worlds. The nominations include Artist of the Year, Song of the Year (awarded to songwriter), New Artist of the Year, CD of the Year, Choir of the Year, Traditional CD of the Year, Traditional Choir of the Year and Recorded Music Package of the Year.
With the extraordinary success of the single and CD project, Jenkins wants to give an aspiring songwriter the opportunity to place a song on the new project. “This is our way to inspire songwriters, give back, and create opportunities for the next generation and beyond. We want someone to write a worship song to inspire the world to sing!”
Inspired People™ Music Songwriting Contest
Rules & Regulations
Contest begins December 17th, 2012 at midnight.
Entry deadline is February 22, 2013
1. Contestants must submit a song NO LONGER THAN 4 MINUTES OF PLAYING TIME. The song must be in the genre/style of GOSPEL/CHRISTIAN/WORSHIP. Each song submitted must be original work written by the contestant and may not infringe on any copyright. Songs may have multiple co-writers, but only one writer may submit per application. The submitted recording should be a fair representation of how the writer would perform the song live with minimum accompaniment (guitar or piano only). Contestant may enter multiple songs. Each song submitted must have both instrumentation and lyrics.
1a. Writers submitting material must affirm that he/she is of at least 18 years of age.
2. Inspired People Music Competition is not responsible for late, damaged, or misappropriated entries.
3. Ten (10) finalists will be selected by an undisclosed, independent team of judges selected by Inspired People. The ultimate contest winner will be chosen by our Inspired People team and celebrity judges to be announced. Songs will be judged based on originality, melody, composition and lyrics. The quality of production will not be taken into consideration. The contest winner will receive a music publishing deal with Inspired People, a cash advance on royalties and more as outlined below. Finalists will be required to sign a Songwriter Agreement and Copyright Assignment with Inspired People to take effect ONLY if the finalist is selected as the ultimate contest winner. The Songwriter Agreement shall entitle Inspired People to co-publishing in the song. Finalists who fail to sign the necessary agreements will be disqualified from the contest.
4. The winner will be notified via email address provided by contestant and will be posted on the Inspired People Music website by Friday, March 8, 2013. The winner will have 48 hours to respond and must sign an affidavit of eligibility release within 7 days of notification. The affidavit will state that the submitted song/songs are original work, that the contestant holds the right to the song/songs and that the contestant is free to enter into a publishing contract. Failure to sign and return the affidavit within 7 days or provision of false information will result in disqualification and a subsequent finalist will be named the contest winner.
5. Entry constitutes permission of Inspired People to use winner’s name, image, likeness, and voice for future advertising and publicity purposes without additional compensation.
Grand Prize – The Grand Prize winner will receive:
- Winning song placement on Charles Jenkins & Fellowship Chicago’s next album (to be performed by Fellowship Chicago Choir);
- Music Publishing deal with Inspired People, LLC
- $1000 cash advance against royalties;
- An Apple computer; and
- A gift card to a major retailer.
1. All songs must be in MP3 format and under 4 minutes total playing time
2. Song must be in the genre/style of GOSPEL/CHRISTIAN/WORSHIP
3. A complete lyric sheet
4. Completed entry form
5. Contestant must be at least 18 years of age.
6. Contestant must be free to enter a publishing contract.
HOW TO ENTER: Contestants must submit entries to Inspired People, LLC at email@example.com. Inspired People will begin accepting entries on December 17, 2012. Contestant will receive an email confirming entry. The entry deadline is midnight on February 22, 2013.